Monday, February 8, 2010

Race Day!

Monday, February 8, 2010
HORRAY!

Running in the winter in NL is always an adventure in discomfort. It also involves quite a bit of cold-weather running gear.

Yesterday was the hypothermic half-marathon. I was feeling a little anxious about this race, due to some unplanned problems in the same race last year.

(to make a long story short, these "problems involved some pesky heart palpitations, me crouching on the side of the road around 18 km for approximately 15 minutes, and finishing the race in quite a bit of discomfort and tears streaming down my face).

Therefore, did NOT want to have the same situation this year. I have made some adjustments.
1. Cut out power gels that contain caffeine (I have been doing this for a year now)
2. Training right up to race day despite my hectic life schedule (I believe this to be one of my downfalls from last year)
3. Carefully pacing myself. I have come to the realization that running a RACE involves careful planning. It is very easy to get caught up in the HYPE of the race. I liken it to the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. I'm like the Tortoise....I run slowly, at a steady pace and have a strong finish.

My goal for this year was BIG smiles at the finish. and I did it!!! I also had a (smaller) goal that I wanted like to finish in approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes. Given the weather conditions we have been having in NL (snowstorm for 2 days prior to the race) I knew the conditions underfoot would probably not be great. However, I did it. 2:13 was my time and I am EXTREMELY happy with that!!!

Here I am, with a few of my buds at km 18 feeling strong.


(this is right before we - the "tortoises" began passing many people who started out too fast and were beginning to struggle (a very hard lesson to learn, to be sure).

It was great to see so many friends out cheering us on, especially on a cold Sunday morning. We appreciate you!!!!!!! Thank you!

GOAL: Accomplished. I will be taking a little break and running more casually. March 31 is the announcement date for the New York City marathon lottery. Will I get in????

Stay Tuned!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Alison Runs NYC ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates